Although in the past I’ve had plenty of concerns about ebooks sold by Amazon and others, I’m now hooked on them and will likely not be buying paper versions anymore.
From day 1, reading materials on my iPad has been a great experience, and I’m increasingly avoiding paper and using it for quick access to all kinds of files, work-related or not.
But up until a few weeks ago I’d only bought one commercial title from an online book storeÂ (mostly out of curiosity),Â despite downloading dozens of sample chapters.
So what changed?
Someone created a dirt simple way* to remove the DRM from Kindle and other ebook formats.
It’s not that I was holding out so I can post copies on the torrents or start selling them out of the back of my virtual car.
I simply want to be able to easily give a book to a friend when I’m finished with it, or loan it to a family member.
The same ability, the same rights, I’ve always had when it comes to items that I purchase for my non-digital library, including video and audio.
I’m not asking for much, am I?
* The link goes to a Mac-only solution. A slightly less dirt simple method for Windows users is here. Â And no one seems to have created a way to remove DRM from files sold in Apple’s iBook store so they will still be getting none of my business.
Presenting this year’s collection of holiday music now in heavy rotation on my Shuffle. Seems to be more traditional stuff than in the past. Maybe I’m mellowing or maybe I just haven’t found as many off-the-wall items recently.
- Christmas Is Interesting – Jonathan Coulton
- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! – Carly Simon
- Hey Santa! – Straight No Chaser
- A Cold, Cold Christmas – Stephen Colbert
- Christmas In America – Melissa Etheridge
- Slower Than Christmas – The Boxmasters
- Who Spiked The Eggnog? – Straight No Chaser
- Trains and Winter Rains – Enya
- You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch – Brian Setzer
- Sleigh Ride – The Ronettes
- Joy To The World – Symphony Brass of Chicago
- Come Darkness, Come Light – Mary Chapin Carpenter
- Please Be Patient – Feist
- It Came Upon A Midnight Clear – Josh Groban
- The Christmas Can-Can – Straight No Chaser
- Funky New Year – The Eagles
- It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Brian McKnight
- Podsafe Christmas Song – Jonathan Coulton
- My Dreams of Christmas – Billy Bob Thornton & The Boxmasters
- I Can’t Wait for Christmas – Mindi Abair
- O Come O Come Emmanuel – Carter’s Chord
- The Nutcracker Suite – Les Brown & His Band Of Renown
I think everything can be had at iTunes and/or Amazon. If you really want them.
The picture? Found it at The Jewish Journal. :-)
Another reason to be wary of Amazon’s digital books – or any other media that comes with DRM strings attached.
This morning, hundreds of Amazon Kindle owners awoke to discover that books by a certain famous author had mysteriously disappeared from their e-book readers. These were books that they had bought and paid for–thought they owned.
But no, apparently the publisher changed its mind about offering an electronic edition, and apparently Amazon, whose business lives and dies by publisher happiness, caved. It electronically deleted all books by this author from people’s Kindles and credited their accounts for the price.
Producers of video content would love to exercise this kind of control of your television and DVR through government-mandated schemes like the broadcast flag.