This is my annual playlist of new-to-me tracks, added to my collection of holiday music. Stuff I can stand to hear in heavy rotation this time of year.
Definitely not the far-too-cheery, often annoying dreck you’re likely to hear in the supermarket and mall.
They don’t make holiday music like they used to.1
Or maybe it’s that they’re making too much of it. Hundreds of artists recording the same twenty or so songs, trying (and usually failing) to find a new twist. And Maria Carey ad nauseam.
In days long past, this list would take the form of a mixtape. Collected and copied on actual recording tape. Later the songs were distributed on a CD. New medium, same idea.
Although we could have another millennial-class argument about the timing, most people have decided we started a new decade on January 1. Which means we also get lots of retrospectives on the previous ten years. I guess that’s better than trying to make historic sense of only the past twelve months.
In one of the more entertaining entries, posted just before the turn of the calendar, The Verge offered their review of the 84 Biggest Flops, Fails, and Dead Dreams of the Decade in Tech.
Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri has posted her insightful and very funny list/ranking of 100 Christmas songs. With two exceptions (71 and 2), none of her choices are in my collection, to which these fine musical works are being added this year.
All of them should available in your favorite digital store or streaming service. So listen and enjoy.
- Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight) – Ramones
- The Big Opening (Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch) – Danny Elfman
- Monster’s Holiday – Bobby “Boris” Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers
- I’m Not Ready for Christmas – Alicia Witt
- Deck the Halls – Walk Off the Earth
- Come On Santa – The Raveonettes
- Fall in Love This Christmas – Dia Frampton
- Mele Kalikimaka – The Monkees
- A Marshmallow World – Walk Off the Earth
- Holiday – Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, Zooey Deschanel, James Corden, Ron Funches, Caroline Hjelt, Aino Jawo, Kunal Nayyar, Christopher Mintz-Plasse & The Bergens
- Christmas Is You – Swear And Shake
- Santa’s Messin’ with the Kid – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- The Nice List – Dia Frampton
- Christmas Tree – Zac Brown Band (feat. Sara Bareilles)
- 2000 Miles – The Pretenders
- Making Christmas – The Citizens of Halloween & Danny Elfman
- Auld Lang Syne – The Cast
Photo is of Georgetown as seen from Kennedy Center on the foggy Christmas eve of 2014, and posted to my Flickr account. I have great hopes for Flickr under it’s new, non-corporate owners in the new year.